3-year-old girl drowns in grease trap at Auburn ice cream parlor
http://www.al.com/ ^ | October 14, 2017 | Paul Gattis
Posted on 10/15/2017 5:37:19 PM PDT by BBell
A 3-year-old girl died Saturday afternoon when she fell into a grease trap and drowned at an ice cream parlor in Auburn, police said.
The incident occurred at Bruster’s Real Ice Cream on East University Drive, police said.
According to police, video evidence from the scene showed the girl was playing with two of her siblings when she apparently fell through a lid covering one of the grease pits on the property.
(Excerpt) Read more at al.com …
Or by mail to: Free Republic, LLC – PO Box 9771 – Fresno, CA 93794
I know from working in restaurants in the past that the grease trap lids are pretty heavy duty. This is a strange story.
Sadie Grace Andrews died in an accident outside an Auburn ice cream parlor on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017. The 3-year-old had an amazing love for God and others, her mother said. Sadie loved to say ‘Roll Tide’ and occasionally would let out a ‘War Eagle’ for her grandmother who is an Auburn fan, according to family members. (Family photo)
OMG, what horror for the family. So terrible.
If the lid was off, why?
So very sad.
The grease trap is a six-foot deep, in-ground container. Sadie was playing in the area, which has picnic tables and a grassy area where children play, an official said. It wasn’t the first time the Andrews family had visited the ice cream shop for the children to play and have treats. Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said Sadie stepped onto the lid of the grease trap, which apparently wasn’t locked or secured, and fell in when the door opened. The door closed on top of her, he said. Police said officers had already been dispatched to the scene because the girl was missing. When officers arrived, CPR was being was being performed. She was taken to East Alabama Medical Center, where efforts to revive her were unsuccessful, police said.
“fell through a lid covering one of the grease pits “
It doesn’t say the lid was off.
Prayers up for the family of this precious little girl. How sad.
It must have been another type of eatery before it was a Brusters or it would not have a grease pit that large. So much had to go wrong. 1. The lid was not properly secured. 2. The adults were looking away at the moment it happened. 3. The siblings, who witnessed it (if they did) were too young to quickly realize the danger and communicate an alarm to the adults.
Just a crushing and heartbreaking news story.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson
This post originally appeared on Free Republic