DNC: Our ‘new leadership’ was not involved in ‘Trump dossier’ funding

The Democratic National Committee claims its “new leadership” had nothing to do with the funding of the so-called “Trump dossier,” after it was reported Tuesday that the firm behind it was hired by DNC lawyer Mark Elias and Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

“Tom Perez and the new leadership of the DNC were not involved in the decision-making regarding Fusion GPS, nor were they aware that Perkins Coie was working with the organization,” said DNC Communications Director Xochitl Hinojosa in statement, referring to the DNC chairman.

The statement, however, makes no mention of the DNC leadership during the 2016 campaign. The group had been led by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida up until July 2016 when she resigned after WikiLeaks published leaked emails which showed she expressed bias in favor of Hillary Clinton over Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont in the fight for the Democratic nomination.

She was followed by Donna Brazile, who served as acting chair until February up until Perez, former President Barack Obama’s labor secretary, was elected.

Neither Brazile nor Wasserman Schultz appear to have spoken out yet on the Washington Post report which made the Trump dossier revelations.

The Clinton campaign and the DNC financed Fusion GPS’s research up until just days before the Nov. 8 election.

The second half of Hinojosa’s statement pivots to President Trump and the federal investigation into his possible ties with the Kremlin.

“But let’s be clear, there is a serious federal investigation into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia, and the American public deserves to know what happened,” she said.

This post originally appeared on Washington Examiner

.

Leave a Reply