Time and People magazines’ annual pre-White House Correspondents’ Dinner souiree has been canceled this year, the publications announced Monday.
The party, held in Washington, D.C., has come to be known as a regular celebrity-heavy event. This April, that legacy will not continue, though it’s unclear why.
Earlier this year, President Trump announced he would not be attending the dinner at the Washington Hilton due to his frustration with the “fake news” media covering his administration. It’s the first time a president has not attended the event in decades.
Dozens of news outlets team up with companies every year to throw lavish parties at hotels, embassies and other facilities for reporters, pundits, celebrities and politicians. Last year, People and Time, both owned by Time Inc., threw a cocktail party at the St. Regis Hotel.
The two magazines are not the only ones to be pulling out from this year’s festivities. Conde Nast-owned Vanity Fair and the New Yorker also said they will not hold their annual party.
Time said representatives will attend the dinner. People will make a donation to the White House Correspondents’ Association in light of its skipping out of the actual event.
“This year we have decided to focus on supporting the White House Correspondents Association, which plays a crucial role in advocating for the broadest possible access for the press at the White House,” Alan Murray, Time Inc. chief content officer, said in a statement.
This post originally appeared on Washington Examiner